Sunday 11 August 2013

USB Charging problem solution on nexus 4 android 4.3 update


Hi Amigos,
Nexus  4 have been my apple of eye from the day i held it in my hand with back ground thought every new update will make it more better/efficient. I fell in love with that idea. But Android 4.3 update uprooted it.
Just to give you a hint of kind of distress i was in.I was musing (hard to think of sharing something which you love )about selling it at cheap price because of this problem. Thank god i did not.

Problem: My nexus 4 would not charge(power) when connect to USB or Power AC when turned on. Neither was it detecting as MTP device on both windows/Ubuntu. Tried different PCs/OSs/Cables etc.
Current state: Problem is not completely solved i.e. Phone is still not detected by my PC but it is charging  both from USB and AC(wall in American way :) ) And i am on cloud nine. For gods sake i don't have to sell or waste any more time on it.
Things that i Tried that did not work.
1. Enable USB debugging in developer option. In every forum i visited i found this one given. Did not work.
2. Make USB connection to MTP or PTP from USB computer connection in storage of settings. Did not work.
3. Tried to remove SIM card --> Turned off --> Turned on --> USB charge connected. Still not charge.
4. Tried removing cache, temporary files , uninstalling most recent app thinking it might be because of some incompatible app. Did not work.
5. Tried Factory reset. Three times. Lost all the data. Still did not work. Felt Hopeless.
6. Tried with Nexus toolkit (new version) as phone was not getting detected at all it also did not work.
7. Tried downloading ever USB app found on the app store thinking may be it would show up some information. One app out of these helped in solving this problem though.

So what did work? To be truthful i don't know either but i will state the steps. Please don't try to judge me with kind of irrational things that i try or try to find rationale of doing what i did. I was desperate.

Steps

1. Turned the phone off --> connect USB -----> charging.
2. Turned it on ---> connect USB ---->> not charging.
3. Turned MTP off, usb debugging off -->> still not charging
4. Tried USB host Diagnostics app --> click "start diagnostics" then follow instruction.If you are lucky phone will start recharging now. I was not that lucky.
5. Took the sim card out.
5. Switched the phone off.
6. Turned it back on and Tested the same test i.e. "start diagnostics". This time i got a different screen
something i never got.


And as you can see battery started recharging...Volllaa...  i was so happy that moment.

I am not the developer of this app.
I am not hundred percent sure it would work for all or not but just thought i might help some one in distress like me.
As of now nexus is charging but not detected by PC/linux. If someone finds a way to do same i would give my love to her/him(no :) ).
Edit:1 After step 3 i also uninstalled the updates of goggle play services. To be safe you can uninstall all the updates that you can uninstall that came with 4.3 android as you can install it any time later until we know the RCA ( root cause) of this issue.

Edit:2 (date:21st August 2013)
Timothy Yuen Commented below and for some mysterious reason deleted the same.With the thought it might help someone else i am putting it down. This is my request , please don't be shy/anything to share.. It is in general good of fellow human beings..

"
I had the same problem and couldn't get it to recharge, and had tried all the steps (MTP on/off etc).

And then it worked.

Current settings before getting it to work
- MTP is checked
- Phone is turned on
- Galaxy nexus phone
- never took off SIM

My steps
- turned on wifi (so i could download the app. i just didn't want to use my data on the mobile plan).
- downloaded and installed the USB Host Diagnostics App
- opened the app (and wondered what I had to do)
- with usb cable connected to computer, i connected the other end to the phone.
- and then the message 'Connected as a mobile device'. Woohoo, it's charging as well now!
 "

9 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
red_devil said...

thanks a lot guys. that solved my problem.

varun vyas said...

red_devil: I am Glad it helped.

Unknown said...

Fantastic... dont know how it works but it did, handset is now charging via USB !! Thanks !!

varun vyas said...

Stu May: Ya i also don't know the rationale for it's working but it works :)

Anmol said...

I have something similar problem two days ago when i connected my nexus 4 to my ubuntu pc then it just charges and i cant connect as mtp or adb or fastboot :((( please all drivers are working help me please

varun vyas said...

Anmol Verma: On ubuntu try dmesg command and see if devices is getting detect at hardware level...Then we can move to driver i.e. software debugging. Let me know.

Linday Haddad said...

Also had a nexus 4 that would not charge via USB/PC, gave no response to MTP, ADB, or Fastboot, I had tried reseting phone, different roms, and even swapped out the usb ribbon board/port thinking damaged port. After all those steps I still could not get the phone to be detected by computer. Installed the USB Host Diagnostic App mentioned and ran it. Plugged in the USB cable while the app was running and it immediately showed the MTP connection notification and the phone showed up as an MTP device on my computer. Wow! Rebooted into the bootloader and fastboot was now working also. I'm completely stumped as to what this app reset to make the USB connection function again, but I'm glad it worked. I've been pulling my hair out for a week trying to troubleshoot this. Thanks!!!!

varun vyas said...

@Linday Haddad , I am glad found my post helpful. Will let you know what exactly this app does.
Bye.

Post a Comment

 
 
Copyright © Ramanjali
Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes Design by Diovo.com